Andrew Mikolajski gave an account of Lamport Hall and it’s gnomes, which Sir Charles Isham introduced into the UK around 1846. He had brought back a number of terracotta gnomes from Germany and had originally intended to use them as amusing figurines for guests at his dining room table before his wife banned them from the house.
They then took prominence in a large rockery which he specifically built for them with pieces of quartz to simulate diamonds for which the Germanic gnomes were mining.
Only one of the original gnomes has survived and his name is “Lampy”. He may be viewed under glass in Lamport Hall and he is currently insured for £1m.
The popularity of Charles Isham’s gnomes gradually spread throughout the country and Lamport Hall can truly be known as a Stately Gnome!